Monday, April 02, 2007

Wyatt James


April 2, 2004 stands out among a handful of days that I rank as "the best" and "the happiest" in my life so far.

Three years ago today, Wyatt James Toombs found his way into the world and, he too, went straight for his granddad's heart!

During a good bit of the first year of his life, Wyatt and his family lived in New Braunfels, Texas. As a result, I didn't get to spend much time with him until his family moved back to Dallas about two years ago when he was a bit less than a year old. Since then, I've tried to make up for lost time!

Wyatt is amazing.

Active beyond words, possessing a bit of a quick temper and a highly competitive spirit, Wyatt has a tender heart and a deep reservoir of emotional energy. He will grow up to be a sensitive man with lots of passion, I expect.

Already he loves tools and trucks and trains and action! He can be so very funny!

He displays the ability to really connect with people. He is a charming little dude!

Like his big sister, Wyatt can slow me down in a heartbeat.

"Come on, granddad! Let's go upstairs and see my trains. Percy needs a battery," he calls out to me, as he leads up up the stairs, flying ahead of me because he knows I will come every time.

Or, "Granddad, where are you?"

Talk about automatic and on-going self-inventory!

And, like his sister, he teaches me what life is really all about. Purpose, direction, meaning, hope, laughter, surprise and joy are all wrapped up for me in getting to be his granddad.

He cannot know today how much I love him, though I tell him every time we are together. I hope I live long enough for him to know the full extent of my love.

Today is hard for me because I find myself out-of-town on business. Even though we have a big family party planned for Wyatt and Gracie next weekend, this afternoon I'll miss his party with his friends at "Pump-It-Up."

I can just hear him telling me again, "Granddad, I can jump a lot and I can go down the big slide!"

I hope I don't miss another birthday party. I know I'll be trying not to from here on out.

Happy Birthday, Wyatt!

Granddad loves you!

5 comments:

Jeremy Gregg said...

Wow -- looks like it was a wonderful weekend. Congratulations, Larry. You really have a beautiful family.

Jeremy Gregg

p.s. This is interesting news...

New York City Mayor, Foundations Form Partnership to Fight Poverty

New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has announced that $42 million of the proposed $50 million in funding for the city's new conditional cash transfer program to help families break the cycle of intergenerational poverty has been raised from private foundations in the city, laying the groundwork to launch the program in September.

The Rockefeller Foundation, which provided the initial research and development capital for the program, has been identified as the lead organization in a public-private partnership called Opportunity NYC. Additional support comes from the Starr and Robin Hood foundations, the Open Society Institute, and American International Group. Unlike conventional approaches to poverty reduction, which focus on social services as a safety net for those in need, Opportunity NYC will employ incentive-based strategies to increase participation in targeted activities and programs that lessen factors contributing to poverty and long-term dependency. Monetary incentives from $50 to $300 will be awarded when households meet specific targets in education, health, and employment and training. Participating families may earn $3,000 to $5,000 per year, depending on family size and the level of targets met.

The program will include a sample of approximately 5,000 families — half of which will serve as a control group — in Central and East Harlem in Manhattan, Brownsville and East New York in Brooklyn, and Morris Heights/Mount Hope and East Tremont/Belmont in the Bronx. The draft protocol for the program will be peer-reviewed by nationally respected academics to ensure the highest possible integrity of design.

"If you're serious about tackling poverty, an entrenched problem that has proven resistant to conventional government programs, you have to be serious about trying new things, taking a new tack," said Mayor Bloomberg. "Conditional cash transfer programs have proven effective in countries around the world and, frankly, we need some new ideas here in New York City to fight poverty."

“Mayor Bloomberg and Major Philanthropic Foundations Unveil Size, Scope, and Schedule of Opportunity NYC, the Nation's First-Ever Conditional Cash Transfer Program.” Office of New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg Press Release 3/29/07.

Anonymous said...

Liberalism in a nutshell--paying people to be normal.

penny said...

As the grandmother of 2, awaiting anxiously the arrival of 2 more, I relate to the delight you take in your grandson. Your obvious devotion to your family is moving- I hope you don't have to miss any more birthdays. In the end, the love you have for your grandson will be recognized as the most precious gift you could ever give him. God Bless you!!!

Unknown said...

Conservatism in a nutshell -- "Help, let me out! It's dark in here!"

Anonymous said...

Chris:

I can almost understand where you're coming from. It does seem a little weird at first blush to pay people to do what's already in their own best interests. But most poverty issues are about a (negative) mindset, as much as anything else. Immediate payoff in the form of incentives may change that mindset one small step at a time. If you really care about people mired in poverty (more than ideology), you may have to try weird things, like eating with tax collectors, drunkards and other sinners. Now that was weird!