Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"just like a penthouse. . ."

We sat in one of the meeting rooms in the community center located in the middle of the oldest public housing development (known as "the projects" to locals) west of the Mississippi River--at least, that is the common folklore in these parts.

The room was packed.

Folks were expecting to meet with all seven of the leading mayoral candidates now vying for that office here in Dallas.

Only two candidates showed up--Sam Coats and Gary Griffith.

One thing I know. The folks in that room will remember who showed up for them.

I was impressed and encouraged by the conversation and the give and take that took place so easily between voters and candidates.

One woman who lived in another housing development in far South Dallas, located in one of the toughest, most neglected parts of our city, stood up to ask a question.

"You know," she began, "it's not where you live but how you live that matters most."

"Amens" filled the room.

"My apartment is just like a penthouse to me, 'cause God gave me a roof over my head and my children's. I'm grateful for what we have. But, we want what everyone wants. We want to be safe and we want good things for our children."

There it is.

Everything that matters, found in one room in an East Dallas public housing development: quality of life, safety, opportunity for children, respect, dignity and fairness.

I've decided we need to spend more time listening to one another.

And, we need to accord more respect and value to those who know poverty and its challenges best.

No comments: