Sunday, April 22, 2007

new eyes. . .

The more I read after Shane Claiborne, the more he inspires, troubles, challenges and motivates me to rethink just about everything!

Here are quotes from chapter 9 ("Jesus is for losers") of his remarkable The Irresistible Revolution: living as an ordinary radical (pages 264-266, 2006) that speak to the importance of how we "see" other people.

Really important stuff, especially in the city.
_________________________

When we look through the eyes of Jesus, we see new things in people. In the murderers, we see our own hatred. In the addicts, we see our own addictions. In the saints, we catch glimpses of our own holiness. We can see our own brokenness, our own violence, our own ability to destroy, and we can see our own sacredness, our own capacity to love and forgive. When we realize that we are both wretched and beautiful, we are freed up to see others the same way. . . .

I have on old hippie friend who loves Jesus and smokes a lot of weed, and he's always trying to get under my skin and stir up a debate, especially when I have innocent young Christians visiting with me. (The problem is that he knows the Bible better than most of them do.) One day, he said to me, "Jesus never talked to a prostitute.” I immediately went on the offensive: "Oh, sure he did," and whipped out my sword of the Spirit
[Bible] and got ready to spar. Then he just calmly looked me in the eye and said, "Listen, Jesus never talked to a prostitute because he didn't see a prostitute. He just saw a child of God he was madly in love with." I lost the debate that night.

When we have new eyes, we can look into the eyes of those we don't even like and see the One we love. We can see God's image in everyone we encounter. As Henri Nouwen puts it, "In the face of the oppressed I recognize my own face, and in the hands of the oppressor I recognize my own hands. Their flesh is my flesh, their blood is my blood, their pain is my pain, their smile is my smile" (
With Open Hands, 1987, page 46). We are made of the same dust. We cry the same tears. No one is beyond redemption. And we are free to imagine a revolution that sets both the oppressed and the oppressors free.

6 comments:

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

Wow. What a powerful thought.

When we see people as prostitutes, drug dealers, single mom's, absentee fathers, we look at them as someone we can "help." That's more about us and what we can do than it is about Jesus.

Thanks for opening my eyes to this!

Anonymous said...

Didn't Shane just come to Dallas? Or he's coming soon?

Gayle said...

Yes, very powerful. Have just reserved this book from my local library based on your post. Thank you.

Love your blog. Keep up the good work, off-line and on.

Larry James said...

Anonymous, yes, Claiborne was in Dallas about a week ago at the University Park United Methodist Church. I was unable to attend, but heard that he was great to hear.

Anonymous said...

BRAVO! And your old hippy friend is a treasure!

Anonymous said...

Larry,

I'm glad to see you are reading Shane's book (I can relate to how it makes you feel). I went to see him in Dallas when he was here a week or so ago.

Erich Robinson
Southlake Blvd. Church