Friday, June 24, 2005

"Give to everyone who begs from you. . .," but only after a reference check!

Let me apologize upfront for my attitude and hard to suppress anger on this one.

Recently, I received a high quality mailing from a national, church-based organization offering me their unique services. The really slick, multi-colored brochure promised a lot.

"Taking The Guess Work Out Of Your Benevolent Program. . ." the tag line read.

"How Do You Know That The Individual Seeking Assistance Really Needs It?" the inside heading asked me.

The promotional/sales piece provided the answer:

"That's the question that faces every church as they administer a benevolent program. Times truly have changed from when you could trust everyone that asked for help. Sad but true, it is common place for individuals to use the church. Many times they will travel from church to church receiving multiple help for a single need.

"How can you know where they have been and how much they have already received? Is it a real need, or are they simply living off benevolent organizations. Well, now there is a way that you can be sure."


The information goes on to unveil the web-based screening product that allows a church "benevolent program" 24/7 access to the records of other member organizations. The goal is to eliminate funding "professional beggars," while becoming "a better steward of God's money."

I hardly know how to respond.

This new "technology" tells me that the people behind many church "benevolent programs" don't understand much about poverty or what it means to really engage the so-called poor in a manner that builds relationships and community.

The fear-based control system presented here assumes that the funds being distributed belong to those who have control of them. Talk about building walls between the haves and have nots.

The paradigm underneath the solution to the perceived problem is all wrong.

"Benevolent programs" as a concept cannot move churches beyond paternalism.

Christian compassion should propel us to a much different place. Never mind all that could be noted here about working for a more just economy and society--an endeavor churches could and should pursue with significant success it seems to me. Where is the church leader who will ask why it is that people would resort to such measures to make it through life?

The obvious irony of this entire matter has to do with the scope and scale of church-based benevolent programs in general. Most churches do well to manage a "food closet." In fairness, many do much more than this. But how many churches go beyond programatic thinking when it comes to the poor?

Worrying about being "ripped off" by the poor runs counter to the open-hearted radicalism of Jesus--a challening worldview we need to explore deeply.

Possibly our overblown concerns about being taken advantage of says more about us than it does about "the poor."
____________________________________________________

"Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you."

Jesus (Matthew 5:42)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen!

Got a question for you: I don't know if Dallas his this situation, but almost every major intersection in Austin has people with cardboard signs explaining hard times and/or joblessness. I'd be interested in your (and your readers') suggestions on what could be done to help them as I pull up to them each day. I'd like to give them something that can help their overall situation, even if it's paired with a short-term help as well. I've never been comfortable with giving them money, and even abandoning the "what will they do with it?" reasoning, I couldn't afford to give enough to really help to all or even most of them.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Larry James said...

The situation you describe is a reality in every city in the country. Many of the folks who stand at the corners and "panhandle" have decided that this method is the best and most efficient way to ask for money. News stories in our local paper have suggested that some "do fairly well" using this approach and some have even suggested that they are organized in some manner and even working for someone else, etc.

I have talked to lots of these people as I sit at the light and wait for the green. I've even pulled off the road to talk. The majority aren't doing well and seem anything but organized. It is hard to move them off the corner, both literally and figuratively. I have given money, my card with explanations as to how to get to our places, food--I even gave a guy a cigar once! Mainly though I have found value in just stopping and talking.

I have no universally effective answer to your question, Charles. But I know it is never wrong to treat another person like a human being. A conversation full of genuine respect and concern is a useful "gift" to any of us. You are right. You don't have enough in your pocket to "solve the problems," but you do have the ability to reach out for a moment with a smile and a greeting that conveys the fact that you will not ignore, brush off or disrespect another person on the same journey as the rest of us. And, along the way if you share a few bucks, I expect you will help out and feel less frustrated and helpless at the same time.

Fajita said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fajita said...

The things done in the name of stewardship. Geez Louise! When I match 90% of what I have learned about stewardship with how I see Jesus live, I see no real connection.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
May I also recommend good eye contact and a handshake along with giving money. There is just something about that kind of contact that makes me realize how much we are all alike and deserve and desire respect.

Neal said...

Sometimes I think the entire stewardship "industry" is simply a smokescreen to justify us not developing generous hearts.