Monday, June 27, 2005

PurpleOcean.org--check it out!

Working people, I mean people who go to work every day and earn an hourly wage, aren't doing too well in America today.

Our major focus here in inner city Dallas connects us with hard working people who don't earn enough to make life work for themselves and their families.

Unfortunately, their number is growing and, if our numbers are any indication, growing rapidly. Over the past four plus years we have seen the need grow in a sadly amazing manner.

When a friend sent me information about PurpleOcean.org, I discovered interesting ideas and actions!

PurpleOcean.org is aligned with the Service Employees International Union, a collective of 1.8 million families who form a large chunk of the service sector in this country. Nurses, custodians, librarians, child care workers, restaurant employees and many other laborers make up the growing membership.

As you might expect, PurpleOcean.org works hard on issues relating to economic justice, labor and fair wages. Important issues among my friends here in Dallas.

Check it out. You will be challenged, even if you don't agree with everything!

Labor and justice--issues of the spirit, matters of faith to me. Let me know what you think.
_____________________________________

Meditation from the New Testament--the words of the brother of Jesus: James 5:1-6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So. . .why do we in the church never hear anything about labor and its issues as they may relate to "the faith" we claim to embrace? The "meditation text" sure sounds strange compared to my experience in church on Sundays. Anyone else feel the same?

Unknown said...

I guess my problem with embracing the Labor or almost any other political movement is that I don't see people clamoring for "justice" - I see them going for the biggest possible piece of the pie they can get. I'm not saying that workers aren't mistreated or don't need to bargain collectively, just that most of them seem to be more interested in their own welfare than what's right. So I can agree with the stated goals, more or less, but I don't trust them to stop at a fair compromise anymore than executives.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I guess I see your point, Charles. However, when labor wins better wages and working conditions, the "spill over" affects that segment of the population that needs to be lifted and strengthened. When management wins, then those nearer the bottom must depend on charity and "trickle down" in order to see life improved. That hardly ever really works.