Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Let Them Drink Beer

I've been known to buy a drunk a drink.

It happened first on the street in New Orleans almost thirty years ago. My now, how time gets away!

The man approached me and said, "I'm not going to lie to you. I need a drink."

Taken back by his total honesty, I congratulated him for his truthfulness and stepped off the street into a bar and bought him a beer. And yes, I was a preacher at the time.

I've always been partial to people who tell me the truth about themselves, no matter where that takes us. So, across the years I've invested time and money in relieving the thirst of more than a few folks who honestly just needed a drink.

Too bad I hadn't discovered earlier the wisdom of Proverbs on this subject. Not that I share this tendency of mine with everyone, at least not until now. But, the wisdom of ancient Israel does help me just here.

When you have time, take a look at Proverbs 31:4-9.

What you'll find is guidance on who should drink and who shouldn't.

To cut to the conclusion: political leaders should avoid alcohol, but the poor should be given a drink from time to time to relieve their misery and help them forget their poverty. I promise that is what the passage says.

You see, rulers, the politicos need clear heads just to remember all the laws they have passed. If they drink, they may forget the good public policy they've crafted while sober. The results of such stupor would not be good for the oppressed and the poor (see verse 5 especially).

Interesting, huh?

The clear implication is that leaders enact laws that protect the weak.

Now there is a novel idea!

In Texas and in Washington far too often our leaders approve legislation designed to crush the poor, or so it seems out here in reality land. Only after passing laws that do nothing to assist the poor and needy do they hit the pubs. Maybe they reverse the order so they won't have to think about what they've actually done!

The poor, on the other hand, should be given "strong drink" (verse 6). This counsel assumes that a drink helps when you are perishing or in distress. If you need insight for interpreting "perishing" or "distress," drive downtown and look around.

Evidently the Jewish wise man who wrote this understood that beer and wine help poor folks forget their poverty and their misery (verse 7).

I guess that's why lots of crushed people with no real options feel the need for a drink. I don't think I'm being unkind when I observe that many religious people don't understand very well the world of the poor.

The wise man of Proverbs wraps up his homily on strong drink with clear, direct words about the work of leaders and, I would assume, people of faith who know the heart of God:

"Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute. Speak out, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy" (31:8-9).

At the risk of really being written off, let me add, I'll drink to that!

7 comments:

happytheman said...

Don't let the Austin bunch see this they might just go and give the poor strong drink and say they done their job.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Wow. Larry, Larry, Larry. I have to raise my glass to you, bro. I've never thought about that passage--and honestly, don't remember it. What a crazy, cool, thought provoking passage! It really does say that.

Kyle said...

Excellent, sir. We need more politicians with real religious convictions instead of the pseudo convictions that seem to plague the legislature. Thanks for your kind words. (and for easing my own mind for buying the occasional beer for that guy in need of one.)

Anonymous said...

Your blog just blows me away! I feel sure I've read that scripture before, but I NEVER really READ it, I guess! You make me think so much, & I'm starting to help a little in one of our inner city ministries because of you(uh,& Christ too!) Thanks for sharing your strong thoughts with us.

Anonymous said...

I thing this is very dangerous theology. If you take one small passage written by a man who himself was not doing so good at the time, and try to apply that to modern day you are just asking for trouble. Better to find out what is wrong with the individual and then minister to him.We have no reason to be involved in the purchase of alchohol period, no matter how someone trys to justify it. By him a meal, help him with his troubles, share the gospell with him... I can promise you no one "NEEDS" a drink. I think also this is one way satan ensnares christians. If you are a christian, commit to stay AWAY from alcohol there are far more warnings against it in the bible.Its sad to see some christians are still struggling with this, even "mature" christians. chazandchris@msn.com

Larry James said...

Lots of ways to reach people. Building walls of righteousness is not too effective. Your reaction tells me you've never been where I live. Jesus is bigger than you give him credit for being.

Anonymous said...

sounds to me like you are struggling spiritualy, let me know if I can help.and by the way, I know exactly where you live.chazandchris@msn.com