Thursday, June 02, 2005

On Robbing the Poor

Large concentrations of low-income or "poor people" populate the inner cities of the United States. It is not that there are no poor folks in rural areas, it is just that there are so many in our urban settings.

This concentration of members of the so called underclass in large population centers creates a dynamic that does not serve the interests of the poor or of the larger community. For one thing, the problems can appear so daunting, so unrelenting that even concerned people are paralyzed. The "no one knows what to do" syndrome is at work in most American cities around the issues associated with poverty and its myriad causes.

Then there are the not so nice people who take advantage of the concentrations of poverty on the one hand and the "what can be done?" resignation on the other to structure things to benefit themselves at the expense of the very people who desperately need a hand up.

This principle can be seen at work in public policy development every time our legislature meets. The 140-day session that just ended down in Austin produced more than ample evidence to substantiate my thesis. Lots of budget balancing occurred at the expense of the poorest Texans. Nothing new here! No surprises.

All of that to say, this repetitive theme in Texas and in national politics, built on the seemingly intractable problems of poverty and the vast numbers of Americans trapped in a low-income whirlpool of sorts, stands over against the faith and religious value system of the Judeo-Christian heritage.

We need to be reminded that morality is not just about sex and human reproduction. Morality is about life, justice, fairness and opportunity.

Back to Proverbs one more time.

"Do not rob the poor because they are poor, or crush the afflicted at the gate; for the Lord pleads their cause and despoils of life those who despoil them" (Proverbs 22:22-23)

Message? Don't take advantage of those who are weak who have no real recourse against your power.

And remember whose side the Creator happens to be on. God is not like CNN--God is not neutral!

7 comments:

Joel said...

Larry,

I respect you. I love your blog. I totally agree with every thing you said. Except one: God is not like CNN--God is not neutral!

CNN is not neutral eiether. Neither is Fox.

Pick a different example: Switzerland? I don't know.

I know this is knit-picky but I would hate for people to read the last words of this great post and get hung up on that CNN metaphor.

Again, You will do more for your fellow man this week than I might in a year. Know how much I respect you. Just a little advice to consider.

Please pray for me that I will not "rob the poor" because I want a soft heart that is centered on others and I know that unless my heart is centered on Jesus, "self" will trump "others" every time.

Larry James said...

Joel, sorry but I added that last line knowing I would provoke a response like yours. I respect you as well. But from my point of view compared to God on this matter, CNN is neutral! So is Fox! God is so off the charts on one side of this issue that neither network would have God on for an interview! This was my point. We just don't get it about faith, God and the poor.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Larry, don't mind Quile. He got fired from CNN and is just bitter.

Great post, man! So convicting. What do people like me do about this kind of stuff? can't we figure out a position for a worship leader at Central Dallas? :) In all seriousness, I find myself in the category of people you mentioned who want desperately to help but often find themselves at a loss to know how.

Your posts continue to convict and teach. Please don't stop and please don't be afraid of offending. I need some offending when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Anonymous said...

Larry,

We met you when my wife's parents were in New Orleans - Nina and Chris Christian. I have heard of your ministry in Dallas but did not know you had a "blog".

I have read some of your posts, not all so I am limited in knowing your full view on the issue on poverty. My position is that I would like for all government revenue and expenditures except for military and national security to be reduced. I believe more innovative organizations like yours could be funded by individuals and corporations in a more efficient way than sending money to Washington or to a state capitol.
Keep up the good work and we will continue to pursue the idea that more individuals will help the poor in a better way than the government.

Larry James said...

Grant, thanks for your post. Nice to "reconnect" with you. I don't agree with you about the role of government. The fact is, our government--and we are the government in a constiutional democracy--has tremendous power and capacity to arrange things so that opportunity is shared more fairly than is the case today. Churches, non-profits like CDM and other community-based organizations all have a role to play, but there are too many very large, systemic realities that can only be addressed by overarching inistitutions like the government. Your military example is a good one. Why don't we privatize the military? Why don't we privatize the interstate highway infrastructure? Because the issues/problems/challenges in question call for national collective solutions. We need to veiw poverty in much the same way, especially as it relates to housing, health care, education, employment and economic development. Unchecked or unregulated capitalism grinds people up and puts them in boxes that most of the time they are not strong enough to escape from.

I expect you don't agree with me. Your point of view is thoroughly libertarian. I respect your point of view, but I couldn't disagree more.

Larry

Anonymous said...

Larry, that's one of the best arguments I've heard to counter these Libertarian arguments. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Larry

Thanks for your reply. And I do appreciate your work and efforts.

My position is the individual citizens of this country would do a better job of distributing funds than our government. I may be wrong but I suspect you operate under a higher degree of accountability and responsibility than the US Govt welfare distribution center.

I do believe government should ensure equal access and equal opportunity.

All that being said, I appreciate the fact that you are challenging individuals to step up and make a difference. My position is subject to hypocrisy if I don't step out individually to respond to the poor I know about.

Thanks for listening and keep the faith.

Grant