Thursday, September 07, 2006

An experiment in networking, blog compassion and hope

My intention is not to turn my blog into a fundraising tool. I realize readers don't come here to read my funding appeals.

So, I am committing to bring the financial needs of Central Dallas Ministries to this space on a very limited and infrequent basis.

Earlier this month we did launch our very first "blog drive." Our goal is to raise $100,000 by October 31, 2006.

The purpose: to buy food supplies for the thousands who come to our Resource Centers seeking assistance with groceries and to pay the State of Texas the acceptance fee for our low-income, housing tax credits ($60,000). Every penny will be devoted to these two needs--no administrative, printing, mailing, staff costs whatsoever--one of the great things about the Net!

To date we are moving in on $18,000 in gifts!

You will notice the little house icons at the upper right of this page. We paint a house green with each $1,000 raised. We intend to paint the entire block between now and Halloween with the paint brush supplied by this blogging community and its friends.

As gifts have been streaming in from across the country, I've been thinking about a simple experiment. So, here goes.

Here is the favor I am asking. If you have not made a contribution to our fund, please do so today.

I am suggesting just $10.00. If you want to do more and if you are able, by all means do so. But decide to contribute at least $10.00.

By the way, ten dollars will purchase over 71 pounds of food from the North Texas Food Bank here in Dallas!

Next, and this is essential for our success, send this post and a personal appeal to at least 10 of your friends who work on the Internet and, if you have a blog, direct your readers to this space.

Ask your friends to read the post, research my request here (they can click the thumbnails above the little houses for more directions and information) and send a donation of at least $10.00 themselves.

I would love to be inundated with $10.00 checks, bills and on-line contributions! The power of the networking would be incredibly powerful and encouraging.

So, help me touch people in need today. I will be grateful, as will my friends who need the help up from your hand.

Shalom!

6 comments:

Eric Livingston said...

Wow. $10.00 buys 71 lbs of food! I'm ashamed to say I've spent $10.00 on a single lunch. I'm guessing 71 lbs of food is equal to about 150 meals??? That would mean what I spend on one lunch for me could feed 150 people. Talk about loaves and fishes!

Stacey said...

Larry - It won't be much, but where can I mail a check?

Larry James said...

Chris, thanks! You and others can send checks made out to Central Dallas Ministries to Larry James' Urban Daily; CDM; P. O. Box 710385; Dallas, TX 75371-0385.

Thanks for caring!

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Larry,

It is officially on the calendar for October 8. Proverbs 31.1-9 as "Octoberfest for the Poor" will be a reality.

I am praying and meditating on that text and if you have any suggestions you would like to email me that would be appreciated.

At the very least I thought you might be interested.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Larry James said...

Bobby, I can't wait to hear what happens!

I'll tell you this: politicians are supposed to stay sober so that they will remember the justice issues of lawmaking. The poor are allowed to drink due to their pain. Real simple. In my community we have it just backwards!

Larry James said...

Thanks to everyone, beginning with Randy Mayeux, who handed me $10 checks today at our Urban Engagement Book Club! We will make our $100K goal!