Saturday, September 23, 2006

"Mommy, I'm going to follow you!"


Gracie, my incredible 4-year-old granddaughter, is really into her new Sunday School class.

Evidently, the class has been studying the concept of "following Jesus." Her teachers have encouraged her to follow Jesus as she lives her young life.

Heady stuff for a pre-schooler, don't you think?

On Monday, Gracie talked to her mom about the matter.

"Mommy, you know lots of people follow Jesus," she said.

"Yes, I know, Gracie," Jennifer replied. "Mommy tries to follow Jesus, too!"

"Well,"
Gracie responded confidently, "Mommy, I'm going to follow you!"

Out of the mouths of babes.

Parents take note: children begin their life journeys following you, looking to you and believing in you just about completely and almost exclusively. What you get is usually determined largely by what they see and hear from you.

Gracie, like just about everyone else, will come to follow Jesus or whomever, whatever is to be followed through life, largely on the basis of what she observes in those of us in her life who are both older and loved.

Gracie is wise.

She can't see or even really comprehend "Jesus" at this point in her story.

She certainly can see her "Mommy." And, she is already trusting in her. I'm grateful for that truth. She is a blessed little girl to have such a mother.

Someday Gracie will be thankful as well.

1 comment:

Tim Perkins said...

Wonderful message.

I'm a grandfather myself. May I dare to say that I'm in love with Gracie's eyes?