Monday, September 11, 2006

Memory


Remembering is important.

Five years ago this morning I remember exactly what I was doing when the planes penetrated the walls of the World Trade Center skyscrapers.

I was almost dressed for work. I had an 8:30 a.m. meeting at my office. I was watching the Today show when the network cut to the scene of the first burning tower.

Brenda and I began speculating about how a plane could get off course, about how a small plane had once flown into the Empire State Building. We didn't know at the time that the first plane was a large airliner.

As I stood in my bedroom watching the live video, I witnessed the second plane plow into the other tower.

Immediately I understood.

I made it to work for my meeting.

Less than an hour later, when I emerged from my office, I learned about disastrous events at the Pentagon and the air crash in a Pennsylvania field.

It was a horrible day.

And, of course, the news got worse, more graphic and harder to receive.

Five years ago we had no grandchildren--Gracie Bea was on the way, but she wouldn't arrive until March 31. When she arrived, the world had changed.

Five years ago, I, like most Americans, didn't really understand what was afoot in the world. I had ignored and misunderstood previous events that now began lining up in a horrific manner.

It is hard to comprehend the kind of hatred and commitment standing back of the terrible events of September 11, 2001.

Today I have a need to be quite. So, I write here.

In the still moments of this day, I will remember those who died in buildings and on airplanes, including those who perpetrated the terror.

I will remember those who lost their lives in serving others.

I will remember those who lost loved ones and family members.

I will remember those who spent months working to clean and rebuild and renew things for us all.

I will remember our nation and our leaders.

I will allow the memories of this horrid day to press what I believe is an important and necessary humility against my heart.

I will remember my enemies, our enemies.

I will consider our world, our entire planet--its complexities, needs, illness, injustice, longings and hope.

I will pray for mercy, understanding and peace.

I will embrace my idealism and my naivete and I will simply try to be still and quiet and open.

In the quiet, I will simply remember.

3 comments:

David Michael said...

"In the quiet, I will simply remember."

This morning, your words were my thoughts. Thank you.

Jeremy Gregg said...

A friend sent this to me, among other things, a few days ago, but I did not open it til this morning. I found it strangely appropriate:

"Among the rain
and lights
I saw the figure 5
in gold
on a red
firetruck
moving
tense
unheeded
to gong clangs
siren howls
and wheels rumbling
through the dark city. "

- "The Great Figure," William Carlos Williams (1921)

Stacey said...

I am remembering today also Larry. In my heart, in my prayers, and even on my blog.

I'm also remembering our desperate need for shalom in the world.