Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A very special "Thank You". . .

Over the weekend we received a letter from a woman we met about two years ago. Enclosed was a donation of $25.00.

When we first met, she was living in an old, abandoned house without running water or electricity. The situation was not good. But, she was homeless with no options.

Like so many others, she came to Central Dallas Ministries for food and some help.

And, like so many, she stayed to help her community by volunteering her time in our main Resource Center.

She immediately began to make a real difference through her hard work and her very obvious dedication. Eventually, we were able to connect her through another volunteer to a really great church out in Richardson. We also helped find her more suitable, permanent housing and employment. She also was able to reconnect with her daughter during this time.

But, as is usually the case in situations like this, she did all of the "heavy lifting" of getting back on her feet.

All she needed was an opportunity and some new space for a little "traction."

Here is what her letter said in part:

To Everyone,

This small donation enclosed is just a way of saying "THANK YOU"!

CDM has given me hope, compassion, support and love! No one else in Dallas would give me the time of day or night to help me get back up on my feet!

Thank you!

To: Minnie Rodriguez
Daisy
Terry Beer for allowing me to come to the pantry to volunteer my time to help others in need. Also, for helping me with my needs.

To: George for helping me to keep my thoughts positive and for asking me for the "THOUGHT FOR THE DAY"!

To: Mama Alexander and James Reed for helping me to overcome my addictions and showing me that I AM STRONG and can OVERCOME!

To: CDM Health Clinic for assisting me in my health issues (which I still go).

To: Cyberspot for helping me to do a resume and directing me to my current employment at Adam's Mark Hotel! The construction is done and now I'm in building services desk work.

To: Billy Lane and Terry Beer for my current home (I'll be here a year this month)!

To: . . .Other Staff, THANK YOU FOR NOT JUDGING ME BUT FOR ACTUALLY CARING!

Always Grateful!

P. S. To Mary Dooley, Ruth & Naomi Ministry and Richardson East Church of Christ! for this next step of living in Christ!

Thank you all!!!
______________________________

The nature of our work here leads us to attempt a rather comprehensive approach to responding to the lives of the men, women, youth and children who come our way. It is always so good to see folks make progress. Please remember us and our friend today.

4 comments:

Heather said...

That's so awesome and special, Larry!

It's so neat to see progress, like you said, but when they voice it themselves, it just makes you so happy, doesn't it? :)

Stacey said...

What a blessing, Larry. Thanks for sharing.

Makes the days a little shorter doesn't it? Almost like things really are getting better :)

JD said...

My heart is touched and I am so thankful for the way God works so thoroughly through your hands.

NSRU said...

I know this woman personally and have been blessed to be a part of her journey. When I tell her she is one of my heroes, I think it makes her a bit uncomfortable. We all can learn so much about God through others - I hope we don't miss these opportunities.
Nancy Ulrich